Effective Date: 2018-12-18
Updated Date: 2019-1-18
Shaghal Ltd., its affiliates and subsidiaries (“we”, “us”, “our”, “Shaghal”) are committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement (“Statement”) describes our practices in connection with information privacy on personal data we process through your individual use of the following services, products, and related mobile applications (collectively, the “Products”)
Jetstream Home Mobile Application
In this Privacy Notice, “Personal Data” means information that can be used to identify an individual, either from that information alone, or from that information and other information we have access to about that individual. “Smart Devices” refers to those nonstandard computing devices produced or manufactured by hardware manufacturers, with human-machine interface and the ability to transmit data that connect wirelessly to a network, including: smart home appliances, smart wearable devices, smart air cleaning devices, etc. “Apps” refers to those mobile applications developed by Shaghal that provide end users remote control to Smart Devices and with the ability to connect to Shaghal IoT Platform.
For other branded mobile applications powered by Shaghal, our Clients control all the Personal Data collected through our Products. We collect the information under the direction of our Clients and the processing of such information shall be limited to the purpose of providing the service for which our Clients has engaged us. If you are a customer of one of our Clients and would no longer like to be contacted by one of our Clients that use our service, please contact the Client that you interact with directly.
What Personal Data do we collect
In order to provide our services to you, we will ask you to provide necessary personal data that is required to provide those services. If you do not provide your personal data, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services.
Information You Voluntarily Provide Us
Account or Profile Data: When you register an account with us, we may collect your contact details, such as your email address, phone number, and user name. During your interaction with our Products, we may further collect your nickname, profile picture, country code, language preference or time zone information into your account.
Feedback: When using feedback and suggestion features in our Products, we will collect your email address, mobile phone number and your feedback content to address your problems and solve device failures on a timely basis.
Information We Collect Automatically
Device Information: When you interact with our Product, we automatically collect device information, such as the MAC address of your devices, IP address, wireless connection information, operating system type and version, application version number, push notification identifier, log files, and mobile network information.
Usage Data: During your interaction with our Sites and Services, we automatically collect usage data relating to visits, clicks, downloads, messages sent/received, and other usage of our Sites and Services.
Log information: When you use our app, the application and exception log may be uploaded.
Location Information: We may collect information about your real-time precise or non-precise geo-location when you use our specific Products or Services, such as robot cleaner and weather service.
Smart Devices Related Information:
Basic information of Smart Devices: When you connect your Smart Devices with our Products or Services, we may collect basic information about your Smart Devices such as device name, device ID, online status, activation time, firmware version, and upgrade information.
Information reported by Smart Devices: Depending on the different Smart Devices you elect to connect with our Products or Services, we may collect different information reported by your Smart Devices. For example, smart weights or fitness trackers may report your height, weight, body fat mass (BFM), BMI and skeletal muscle mass (SMM); smart cameras may report images or videos captured by it.
Purposes and legal basis for processing Personal Data
The purpose for which we may process information about you are as follows:
Marketing Communication: We may process your personal data to provide marketing and promotional materials to you on our Products and Services. If we do so, each communication we send you will contain instructions permitting you to opt-out of receiving future communications of that nature. The legal basis for this processing is your consent. Additionally, if you consent to participate in our lottery, contest or other promotions, we may use your personal data to manage such activities.
Personalization: We may process your account and profile data, usage data, device information to personalize product design and to provide you with services tailored for you, such as recommending and displaying information and advertisements regarding products suited to you, and to invite you to participate in surveys relating to your use of our Products. The legal basis for this processing is your consent.
Legal Compliance: We may process your personal data as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable laws and regulations; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations, business and systems; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of other users, including you; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Who do we share Personal Data with?
At Shaghal, we only share personal data in ways that we tell you about.
We may share your Personal Data with the following recipients:
To our third party service providers who perform certain business-related functions for us, such as website hosting, data analysis, payment and credit card processing, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer support service, e-mail delivery services, and other similar services to enable them to provide services to us.
To our customers and other business partners who provide you, directly or indirectly, with your Smart Devices, and/or networks and systems through which you access and use our Sites and Services.
To an affiliate or other third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). In such an event, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership, incompatible new uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information.
As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable laws and regulations; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations, business and systems; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of other users, including you; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
To subsidiaries or affiliates within our corporate family, to carry out regular business activities.
Except for the third parties described above, to third parties only with your consent.
Your Rights Relating to Your Personal Data
We respect your rights and control over your personal data. You may exercise any of the following rights:
Via the “Profile – Personal Center” in our Products (for Product version 3.2 and later)
By emailing us at email@example.com (for Product version before 3.2)
You do not have to pay a fee and we will aim to respond you within 30 days. If you decide to email us, in your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal information deleted from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal information. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request, for security purposes.
Request access to the personal data that we process about you;
Request that we correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you;
Request deletion of personal data about you;
Request restrictions, temporarily or permanently, on our processing of some or all personal data about you;
Request transfer of personal information to you or a third party where we process the data based on your consent or a contract with you, and where our processing is automated; and
Opt-out or object to our use of personal data about you where our use is based on your consent or our legitimate interests.
Information Security Safeguards
We use commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. Shaghal provides various security strategies to effectively ensure data security of user and device. As for device access, Shaghal proprietary algorithms are employed to ensure data isolation, access authentication, applying for authorization. As for data communication, communication using security algorithms and transmission encryption protocols and commercial level information encryption transmission based on dynamic keys are supported. As for data processing, strict data filtering and validation and complete data audit are applied. As for data storage, all confidential information of users will be safely encrypted for storage. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), you must immediately notify us of the problem by firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information Retention Period
We process your personal data for the minimum period necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, unless there is a specific legal requirement for us to keep the data for a longer retention period. We determine the appropriate retention period based on the amount, nature, and sensitivity of your personal data, and after the retention period ends, we will destruct your personal data. When we are unable to do so for technical reasons, we will ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to prevent any further such use of your personal data.
Changes to this Policy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (send to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice in the mobile applications prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
Legal application and jurisdiction
This policy is formulated in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America.
If you have any questions about our practices or this Privacy Notice, please contact us as follows:
10880 Wilshire Blvd #2250
LA CA 90024
Term of Service
Ematic Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “Ematic”) provides: (1) a Ematic user account that may be accessed through mobile apps, (2) services accessible through the mobile apps, (3) software that may be downloaded to your smartphone, tablet, laptop and desktop to access services (“Mobile Apps”), and (4) subscription services, including services that can be accessed using the Mobile Apps (“Subscription Services”), all for use in conjunction with Ematic hardware products (“Products”) and in other ways that Ematic provides. Some Ematic products and Services can be used together or in ways that integrate with products and services from third parties. The term “Services” means the Mobile Apps, and Subscription Services.
Please read the agreement carefully, and the terms will be explained to you below. If you disagree or cannot understand the interpretation of the terms, please do not follow up.
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) govern your access to and use of the Services. These Terms give you specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights in addition, which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The disclaimers, exclusions, and limitations of liability under these Terms will not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or other rights, so those provisions of these Terms may not apply to you.
THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT. BY ACCESSING AND USING THE SERVICES, YOU ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THESE TERMS ON BEHALF OF YOURSELF OR THE ENTITY YOU REPRESENT IN CONNECTION WITH THE ACCESS. YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT, AUTHORITY, AND CAPACITY TO ACCEPT AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS ON BEHALF OF YOURSELF OR THE ENTITY YOU REPRESENT. YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE OF SUFFICIENT LEGAL AGE IN YOUR JURISDICTION OR RESIDENCE TO USE OR ACCESS THE SERVICES AND TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS, YOU SHOULD DISCONNECT YOUR PRODUCTS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT (AS DESCRIBED BELOW) AND CEASE ACCESSING OR USING THE SERVICES.
AS DESCRIBED BELOW, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE UPDATE OF THE SERVICES AND OF THE PRODUCTS CONNECTED TO THE SERVICES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE SERVICES.
AS DESCRIBED BELOW, SECTIONS 4 AND 5 DESCRIBE IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS OF THE SERVICES, ESPECIALLY IN CONNECTION WITH LIFE SAFETY AND CRITICAL USES. PLEASE READ THESE DISCLOSURES CAREFULLY, AS YOU ARE ACKNOWLEDGING THEM AND ACCEPTING THEM.
Overview, Eligibility, Customer Service, Term and Termination
- Overview and Relation to Other Agreements. These Terms govern your use of the Services. Your purchase of any Product is governed by the limited warranty provided with that Product (“Limited Warranty”) and may further be governed by the Terms & Conditions of Sale. The software embedded in the Product (and any updates thereto) (“Product Software”) is licensed and governed by the End User Licensing Agreement. Certain features of the Services may be subject to additional guidelines, terms, or rules, which will be posted on the Services in connection with such features. All additional guidelines, terms, or rules, and the Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”), are incorporated by reference into these Terms and you are agreeing to accept and abide by them by using the Services.
- Eligibility. You may use the Services only if you can form a binding contract with Ematic, and only if you are in compliance with these Terms and all applicable local, state/provincial, national, and international laws, rules, and regulations. Any use or access to the Services by anyone under the age of 18 is strictly prohibited and is a violation of these Terms. The Services are not available to any users previously prohibited from using the Services by Ematic.
- Customer Service. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Products, the Services, or these Terms, please contact Ematic.
- Term and Termination. These Terms will remain in full force and effect so long as you continue to access or use the Services, or until terminated in accordance with the provisions of these Terms. At any time, Ematic may (i) suspend or terminate your rights to access or use the Services, or (ii) terminate these Terms with respect to you if Ematic in good faith believes that you have used the Services in violation of these Terms, including any incorporated guidelines, terms or rules. If you transfer a Product to a new owner, your right to use the Services with respect to that Product automatically terminates, and the new owner will have no right to use the Product or Services under your Account (as described below) and will need to register for a separate Account with Ematic.
- Effect of Termination. Upon termination of these Terms, your Account and your right to use the Services will automatically terminate.
Product and Services
The term “you,” as used in these Terms, includes any person or entity who is the owner of the Product and creates an account associated with the Product (“Owner”), as well as any person or entity authorized to access or use the Owner’s Products and Services (“Authorized Users”). Authorized Users are responsible for their own actions in connection with the Products and Services, but Owner hereby agrees to be fully responsible for all actions taken by Authorized Users relating to the Owner’s Products, Services and account. As a result, if you are an Owner, you should authorize only those individuals that you trust to access your account, Products, and Services.
To use the Services, you must register for a user account (“Account”) and provide certain information about yourself as prompted by the applicable registration form. You represent and warranty that: (a) all required registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; and (c) your use of the Services does not violate any U.S. or other applicable law or regulation (e.g., you are not located in an embargoed country or are not listed as a prohibited or restricted party under applicable export control laws and regulations). You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login information and for all activities that occur under your Account. You agree to use “strong” passwords (passwords that use a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols) with your Account, and to maintain your password securely to prevent others from gaining access without your permission. You agree to immediately notify Ematic of any unauthorized use, or suspected unauthorized use, of your Account or any other breach of security. Ematic is not liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements.
Free Trial and Subscriptions
You may enjoy our Premium Cloud Service in the following ways:
Free Trial: When you first set up your Product, you will be automatically enrolled in a free thirty (30) day trial of the Premium Cloud Storage Plan. If you do not enter into a paid subscription for a Premium Cloud Service before the end of your trial period, your recordings will be deleted.
Paid Subscriptions: When you first set up your product through the services, or at any time after you begin using your product, you may enjoy our Premium Cloud Service by enrolling in our monthly subscription plan, which will continue until you cancel your subscription. These subscription plans entitle you to access our Premium Cloud Service for each payment period until such subscription is cancelled. Your paid subscription will automatically commence on the first day following the end of your trial period, on a monthly basis depending on your election when you first set up your Product. By submitting your payment details in conjunction with the trial, you agree to this charge. To avoid this charge, you must cancel your Premium Cloud Service by either contacting us before the end of your trial period or discontinuing the Premium Cloud Service via the Ematic App.
Subscription fees are billed or charged on the first day of the applicable subscription period. If any payment is returned unpaid or if any credit card or similar transaction is rejected or denied, Ematic reserves the right to cancel your Premium Cloud Service subscription and to collect any rejection or insufficient funds fee and to process any such payment by the payment method you have submitted to us.
Auto-Renewal for Paid Subscriptions: Unless you opt out of auto-renewal, which can be done through your account settings by removing your payment information or by contacting us, any paid Services (for example, your Premium Cloud Service) you have signed up for will be automatically extended for successive renewal periods of the same duration as the subscription term originally selected, at the then-current non-promotional rate. To change or discontinue your paid Services at any time, go to account settings or contact us. If you terminate a paid Service, you may use your subscription until the end of your then-current term and your subscription will not be renewed after your then-current term expires. However, you won’t be eligible for a prorated refund of any portion of the subscription fee paid for the then-current subscription period. Your non-termination or continued use of a paid Service reaffirms that we are authorized to charge your payment method for that paid Service. We may submit those charges for payment and you will be responsible for such charges. This does not waive our right to seek payment directly from you. Your charges may be payable in advance, in arrears, or as otherwise described when you initially selected to use the paid Service.
Access to Services
- Access and Use. Subject to these Terms, Ematic grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, right (without the right to sublicense) to access and use the Services by using the Mobile Apps in connection with, and solely for the purpose of, controlling and monitoring the Products installed on your property or otherwise accessing a service explicitly provided by Ematic for your use (the “Permitted Purpose”). In addition, you agree (a) that installation of any Product which takes visual and/or audio recordings will be installed at such an angle that it does not take any recordings beyond the boundary of your property (including public pavements or roads); (b) to prominently display appropriate signage advising others that audio/visual recording is taking place; and (c) if you use your property as a workplace, to comply with laws governing the monitoring of employees.
- Automatic Software Updates. Ematic may from time to time develop patches, bug fixes, updates, upgrades and other modifications to improve the performance of the Services and/or the Product Software (“Updates”). These may be automatically installed without providing any additional notice or receiving any additional consent. You consent to this automatic update. If you do not want such Updates, your remedy is to terminate your Account and stop using the Services and the Product. If you do not terminate a previously created Account, you will receive Updates automatically. You acknowledge that you may be required to install Updates to use the Services and the Product and you agree to promptly install any Updates Ematic provides. Your continued use of the Services and the Product is your agreement – (i) to these Terms with respect to the Services, and (ii) to the End User License Agreement with respect to updated Product Software.
- Certain materials may be displayed or performed on the Services (including, but not limited to text, graphics, articles, photographs, video, images, and illustrations (“Content”). The Content also includes information that you and other users provide us in the course of using the Services (collectively, “User Submissions”), which we may use to provide, maintain and improve the Services. Some content may be visible to others (for example, the Service allows you to upload, post, or otherwise share video content). You may also post feedback, comments, questions, or other information on the website. You are solely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise disseminate using, or in connection with, the Services, or that you contribute in any manner to the Services; you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to do so, in the manner in which you contribute it; and you license to Ematic all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms. You shall abide by all copyright notices, trademark rules, information, and restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Services, and shall not use, copy, reproduce, modify, translate, publish, broadcast, transmit, distribute, perform, upload, display, license, sell or otherwise exploit for any purposes whatsoever any Content or third party submissions or other proprietary rights not owned by you: (i) without the express prior written consent of the respective owners, and (ii) in any way that violates any third party right. Ematic reserves the right to remove any Content from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such Content or if we are concerned that you may have breached the immediately preceding sentence), or for no reason at all.
- Certain Restrictions. The rights granted to you in these Terms are subject to the following restrictions: (i) you agree not to license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Services; (ii) you agree not to modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile, or reverse engineer any part of the Services; (iii) you agree not to access the Services in order to build a similar or competitive service; (iv) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Services may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted, or transmitted in any form or by any means; (v) you agree not to upload, transmit, or distribute any computer viruses, worms, or any software intended to damage or alter a computer or communication network, computer, handheld mobile device, data, the Services, the Product, the Product Software, or any other system, device or property; (vi) you agree not to interfere with, disrupt, or attempt to gain unauthorized access to, the servers or networks connected to the Services or violate the regulations, policies, or procedures of such networks; (vii) you agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services by means other than through the interface that is provided by Ematic; and (viii) you agree not to remove, obscure or alter any proprietary rights notices (including copyrights and trademark notices) which may be contained in or displayed in connection with the Services. Any future release, update, or other addition to functionality of the Services shall be subject to these Terms.
- Open Source. Certain items of independent, third party code may be included in the Mobile Apps that are subject to the GNU General Public License (“GPL”) or other open source licenses (“Open Source Software”). The Open Source Software is licensed under the terms of the license that accompanies such Open Source Software. Nothing in these Terms limits your rights under, or grants you rights that supersede, the terms and conditions of any applicable end user license for such Open Source Software. In particular, nothing in these Terms restricts your right to copy, modify, and distribute such Open Source Software that is subject to the terms of the GPL.
- Privacy Statement. Please review the Privacy Statement. The Privacy Statement describes practices regarding the information that Ematic may collect from users of the Products and Services, including any Content or User Submissions.
- Security. Ematic cares about the integrity and security of your personal information. However, Ematic cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat our security measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. You acknowledge that you provide your personal information at your own risk.
- Modification. Ematic reserves the right, at any time, to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Services or any part thereof with or without notice. You agree that Ematic will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuance of the Services or any part thereof.
- Access Outside Certain Countries. Although the website is accessible worldwide, the Products and Services provided or accessed through mobile apps are not available to all persons or in all countries. If you choose to access the mobile apps from outside a country, you do so on your own initiative and you are solely responsible for complying with applicable local laws in your country. You understand and accept that the mobile apps are not designed for use in a non-Target Country and some or all of the features of the mobile apps may not work or be appropriate for use in such a country. To the extent permissible by law, Ematic accepts no responsibility or liability for any damage or loss caused by your accessing or use of the mobile apps or Ematic Products in a non-Target Country. You will be bound by these Terms wherever you access or use the mobile apps or use the Services.
Agreed Usage and Limitations Of Ematic Services
- Intended Use of Ematic Services. The Services are intended to be accessed and used for non-time-critical information and control of Ematic products. While we aim for the Services to be highly reliable and available, they are not intended to be reliable or available 100% of the time. The Services are subject to sporadic interruptions and failures for a variety of reasons beyond Ematic’s control, including Wi-Fi intermittency, service provider uptime, mobile notifications and carriers, among others. You acknowledge these limitations and agree that Ematic is not responsible for any damages allegedly caused by the failure or delay of the Services to reflect current status or notifications.
- No Life-Safety or Critical Uses of the Services. You acknowledge and agree that the Products and Services, whether standing alone or when interfaced with third-party products or services are not certified for emergency response. Ematic makes no warranty or representation that use of the Products or Services with any third-party product or service will affect or increase any level of safety. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, WHETHER STANDING ALONE OR INTERFACED WITH THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, ARE NOT A THIRD-PARTY MONITORED EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM — Ematic WILL NOT DISPATCH EMERGENCY AUTHORITIES TO YOUR HOME IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY. In addition, the Ematic Customer Care and Support contacts cannot be considered a lifesaving solution for people at risk in the home, and they are no substitute for emergency services. All life threatening and emergency events should be directed to the appropriate response services.
- Reliability of Notifications. You acknowledge that the Services, including remote access and mobile notifications, are not intended to be 100% reliable and 100% available. We cannot and do not guarantee that you will receive notifications in any given time or at all. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT RELY ON THE SERVICES FOR ANY LIFE SAFETY OR CRITICAL PURPOSES. MOBILE NOTIFICATIONS REGARDING THE STATUS AND ALARMS ON YOUR Ematic PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY – THEY ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A THIRD-PARTY MONITORED EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM. The information provided by Ematic on what to do in an emergency is based on authoritative safety sources, but there is no way for Ematic to provide specific information relating to a situation in your home or elsewhere. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to educate yourself on how to respond to an emergency and to respond according to the specifics of your situation.
- Temporary Suspension. The Services may be suspended temporarily without notice for security reasons, system failure, maintenance and repair, or other circumstances. You agree that you will not be entitled to any refund or rebate for such suspensions. Ematic does not offer any specific uptime guarantee for the Services.
- System Requirements. The Services will not be accessible without: (i) a working Wi-Fi network in your home that is positioned to communicate reliably with the Products; (ii) an Account; (iii) mobile clients such as a supported phone or tablet (required from some functionality); (iv) always-on broadband Internet access in your home; and (v) other system elements that may be specified by Ematic. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all required system elements and that they are compatible and properly configured. You acknowledge that the Services may not work as described when the requirements and compatibility have not been met. In addition, you acknowledge that Ematic may activate Wifi on your smartphone or tablet, with or without prior notification, in order to facilitate proper operation of the Services, enable communication with Ematic Products connected to the same Ematic account, and enable certain features (such as AirLink Auto).
- Energy Savings and other Benefits. Unless explicitly promising a “guarantee,” Ematic does not guarantee or promise any specific level of energy savings or other monetary benefit from the use of the Products or Services or any feature of them. Actual energy savings and monetary benefits vary with factors beyond Ematic’s control or knowledge. From time to time, Ematic may use the Services to provide you with information that is unique to you and your energy usage and suggests an opportunity to save money on energy bills if you adopt suggestions or features of the Product or Services. We do this to highlight an opportunity based on our analysis and information about you and your household. You acknowledge that these promotions are not a guarantee of actual savings, and you agree not to seek monetary or other remedies from Ematic if your savings differ.
- The Services provide you information (“Product Information”) regarding the Products in your home and their connection with other products and services. All Product Information is provided “as is” and “as available”. We cannot guarantee that it is correct or up to date. In cases where it is critical, accessing Product Information through the Services is not a substitute for direct access of the information in the home.
- All information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Services is the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated and Ematic will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content. Ematic cannot guarantee the identity of any other users with whom you may interact in the course of using the Services. Additionally, we cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data that users or merchants may provide about themselves. You acknowledge that all Content accessed by you using the Services is at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage or loss to any party resulting therefrom. We cannot control and have no duty to take any action regarding how you may interpret and use the Content or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content, and you hereby release us from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired Content through the Services.
- You warrant, represent and agree that you will not contribute any Content or otherwise use the Services in a manner that (i) infringes or violates the intellectual property rights or proprietary rights, rights of publicity or privacy, or other rights of any third party; (ii) violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (iii) is harmful, fraudulent, deceptive, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or otherwise objectionable; (iv) impersonates any person or entity, including without limitation any employee or representative of Ematic; (v) contains a virus, trojan horse, worm, time bomb, or other harmful computer code, file, or program; (vi) jeopardizes the security of your Ematic Account or anyone else’s Account (such as allowing someone else to log in to the Services as you; (vii) attempts, in any manner, to obtain the password, account, or other security information from any other user; (viii) violates the security of any computer network, or cracks any passwords or security encryption codes; (ix) runs Maillist, Listserv, or any form of auto-responder or “spam” on the Services, or any processes that otherwise interfere with the proper working of the Services (including by placing an unreasonable load on the Services’ infrastructure); (x) copies or stores any significant portion of the Content; or (xi) decompiles, reverse engineers, or otherwise attempts to obtain the source code or underlying ideas or information of or relating to the Services.
- Data protection and privacy laws where you live may impose certain responsibilities on you and your use of the Products and Services. You agree that you (and not Ematic) are responsible for ensuring that you comply with any applicable laws when you use the Products and Services, including but not limited to (i) any laws relating to the recording or sharing of video or audio content that includes third parties, or (ii) any laws requiring notice to or consent of third parties with respect to your use of Ematic Products.
Limitations Of Ematic Services Due to Third Parties
- General. Ematic Services rely on or interoperate with third party products and services. These third party products and services are beyond Ematic’s control, but their operation may impact or be impacted by the use and reliability of the Ematic Services. You acknowledge and agree that: (i) the use and availability of the Services is dependent on third party product vendors and service providers, (ii) these third party products and services may not operate in a reliable manner 100% of the time, and they may impact the way that the Ematic Services operate, and (iii) Ematic is not responsible for damages and losses due to the operation of these third party products and services.
- Third Party Service Providers Used By Ematic. You acknowledge that Ematic uses third party service providers to enable some aspects of the Services – such as, for example, data storage, synchronization, and communication through Amazon Web Services, and mobile device notifications through mobile operating system vendors and mobile carriers. YOU AGREE NOT TO RELY ON THE SERVICES FOR ANY LIFE SAFETY OR TIME-CRITICAL PURPOSES.
- Third Party Products and Services that Work With Ematic Services. Ematic may provide the opportunity for you to interface to Third Party Products and Services, for example through the Works with Ematic platform. Although the Works with Ematic platform is offered by Ematic, you acknowledge that Third Party Products and Services that you connect to your account or interface with are not Ematic products and services and you acknowledge and agree that Ematic does not control, and that these Terms do not apply to, any Third Party Products and Services. Use of any Third Party Products and Services is governed by separate terms and conditions provided by the operator(s) of the applicable Third Party Products and Services. You acknowledge and agree that Ematic makes no representation or warranty about the safety of any Third Party Products or Services. Accordingly, Ematic is not responsible for your use of any Third Party Product or Service or any personal injury, death, property damage (including, without limitation, to your home), or other harm or losses arising from or relating to your use of any Third Party Products or Services. You should contact the Third Party with any questions about their Products and Services.
- App Stores. You acknowledge and agree that the availability of the Mobile Apps is dependent on the third party websites from which you download the Mobile Apps, e.g., the App Store from Apple or the Android app market from Google (each an “App Store”). You acknowledge that these Terms are between you and Ematic and not with an App Store. Each App Store may have its own terms and conditions to which you must agree before downloading Mobile Apps from it. You agree to comply with, and your license to use the Mobile Apps is conditioned upon your compliance with, such App Store terms and conditions. To the extent such other terms and conditions from such App Store are less restrictive than, or otherwise conflict with, the terms and conditions of these Terms, the more restrictive or conflicting terms and conditions in these Terms apply.
- Third Party Website Links and Referrals. The website may contain links to other web sites operated by third parties (“Third Party Sites”) and referrals to third party vendors (“Referred Vendors”). Such Third Party Sites and Referred Vendors are not under our control. Ematic provides these links and referrals only as a convenience and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to such Third Party Sites or Referred Vendors. Your use of these Third Party Sites is at your own risk.
- Release Regarding Third Parties. Ematic is not responsible for third parties or their products and services, including, without limitation, the App Stores, Third Party Products and Services, Third Party Sites, Referred Vendors, Equipment, ISPs, and Carriers. Ematic hereby disclaims and you hereby discharge, waive and release Ematic and its licensors and suppliers from any past, present, and future claims, liabilities, and damages, known or unknown, arising out of or relating to your interactions with such third parties and their products and services. YOU HEREBY WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542 IN CONNECTION WITH THE FOREGOING, WHICH STATES: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.” YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY SIMILAR PROVISION IN ANY OTHER JURISDICTION.
Ownership and Intellectual Property
- Ematic Property. You acknowledge that all intellectual property rights, including without limitation copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, in the Product, Product Software, and Services (i.e., Mobile Apps) are owned by Ematic or its affiliates or our licensors. Your possession, access, and use of the Product, Product Software, and Services do not transfer to you or any third party any rights, title, or interest in or to such intellectual property rights. Ematic and its affiliates and licensors and suppliers reserve all rights not granted in these Terms. The Services are licensed to you, not sold, under these Terms.
You may only copy parts of the Services (including this Site) on to your own computer for your own personal use. You may not use the content of the Services in any other public or commercial way nor may you copy or incorporate any of the content of the Services into any other work, including your own web site without the written consent of Ematic. You must have a license from us before you can post or redistribute any portion of the Services. Other than with respect to User Submissions, Ematic retains full and complete title to all content on the Services, including any downloadable software and all data that accompanies it. You must not copy, modify or in any way reproduce or damage the structure or presentation of the Services or any content therein.
- Feedback. You may choose to, or Ematic may invite you to submit comments, suggestions, or ideas about the Products or Services, including how to improve the Products or Services (“Ideas”). By submitting any Ideas, you agree that your submissions are voluntary, gratuitous, unsolicited, and without restriction and will not place Ematic under any fiduciary or other obligation. Ematic may use, copy, modify, publish, or redistribute the submission and its contents for any purpose and in any way without any compensation to you. You also agree that Ematic does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Ematic, developed by its employees, or obtained from other sources.
- User Submissions. You hereby grant us with a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable and transferable right to access, display, or otherwise use your User Submissions (including all related intellectual property rights) solely in connection with providing you the Services and as directed by you. You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Services a non-exclusive license to access and use your User Submissions through the Services and as permitted through the functionality of the Services and under these Terms. Furthermore, you understand that we retain the right to reformat, modify, create derivative works of, excerpt, and translate any User Submissions submitted by you. For clarity, the foregoing license grant to Ematic does not affect your ownership of or right to grant additional licenses to the material in your User Submissions, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold Ematic and its licensors and suppliers harmless from any damages, liabilities, claims or demands (including costs and attorneys’ fees) made by any third party due to or arising out of (i) your use of the Products or Services, (ii) your violation of these Terms, (iii) any User Submissions or Feedback you provide; or (iv) your violation of any law or the rights of any third party. Ematic reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify Ematic and you agree to cooperate with our defense of such claims. You agree not to settle any such claim without Ematic’s prior written consent. Ematic will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding upon becoming aware of it.
- THE WARRANTY FOR THE PRODUCT AND PRODUCT SOFTWARE ARE SET FORTH IN THE LIMITED WARRANTY AND THE EULA, RESPECTIVELY.
- THE SERVICES (I.E., MOBILE APPS AND MYENERGY.COM) ARE PROVIDED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND Ematic AND OUR LICENSORS AND SUPPLIERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- Ematic AND OUR LICENSORS AND SUPPLIERS MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED OR THAT THE SERVICES: (I) WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (II) WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR HOME NETWORK, COMPUTER OR MOBILE DEVICE; (III) WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS; OR (IV) WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM Ematic OR THOUGH THE SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
- Ematic DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES CONNECTED THROUGH THE WORKS WITH Ematic PLATFORM) OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR SERVICE, AND Ematic WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY MONITOR ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF SUCH PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
- WHEN YOU INSTALL, SETUP OR USE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES LIKE THOSE PROVIDED BY Ematic YOU ARE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO ALTER DEFAULTS OR CHOOSE PARTICULAR SETTINGS. THE CHOICES YOU MAKE CAN CAUSE DAMAGE OR LEAD TO NON-RECOMMENDED OPERATION OF YOUR CONNECTED EQUIPMENT OR SYSTEMS. YOU ASSUME ALL LIABILITY FOR SUCH DAMAGE WHEN YOU CHOOSE PARTICULAR SETTINGS OR SET OR ADJUST DEFAULTS.
- Ematic MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING ANY CONTENT CONTAINED IN OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE SERVICES, AND Ematic WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR THE ACCURACY, COPYRIGHT COMPLIANCE, LEGALITY OR DECENCY OF MATERIAL CONTAINED IN OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE SERVICES. Ematic MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES REGARDING SUGGESTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS OF SERVICES OR PRODUCTS OFFERED OR PURCHASED THROUGH THE SERVICES.
Limitation of Liability
Nothing in these Terms and in particular within this “Limitation of Liability” clause shall attempt to exclude liability that cannot be excluded under applicable law.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS, IN NO EVENT WILL (A) Ematic BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGES FOR LOST DATA OR LOST PROFITS, ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THE SERVICES OR THE PRODUCTS, EVEN IF Ematic KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND (B) Ematic’S TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE SERVICES AND THE PRODUCTS, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR TORT OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE FEES ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU TO Ematic OR Ematic’S AUTHORIZED RESELLER FOR THE SERVICES OR THE PRODUCT AT ISSUE IN THE PRIOR 12 MONTHS (IF ANY). THIS LIMITATION IS CUMULATIVE AND WILL NOT BE INCREASED BY THE EXISTENCE OF MORE THAN ONE INCIDENT OR CLAIM. Ematic DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY OF ANY KIND OF Ematic’S LICENSORS AND SUPPLIERS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL Ematic BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY CONTENT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT, OR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF OR EXPOSURE TO ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, ACCESSED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SERVICES.
Fees and Payment
Certain Services may be provided for a fee. You shall pay all applicable fees in connection with the Services selected by you in accordance with the Terms of Sale.
Disputes and Arbitration
- Contact Ematic First. If a dispute arises between you and Ematic, our goal is to learn about and address your concerns. You agree that you will notify Ematic about any dispute you have with Ematic regarding these Terms or our Products or Services by contacting Ematic.
- Binding Arbitration. You and Ematic agree, subject to clause 11(c) (Protection of Confidentiality and Intellectual Property Rights), to submit any claim, dispute, action, cause of action, issue, or request for relief arising out of or relating to these Terms or your use of the Services to binding arbitration rather than by filing any lawsuit in any forum other than set forth in this section. Further you agree arbitration is final and binding and subject to only very limited review by a court. You also waive your right to any form of appeal, review or recourse to any court or other judicial authority, insofar as such waiver may be validly made. This provision is intended to be interpreted broadly to encompass all disputes or claims arising out of or relating to your use of the Service. Subject to clause 11(c) (Protection of Confidentiality and Intellectual Property Rights), any dispute or claim made by you against us or us against you arising out of or relating to these Terms or your use of the Services (whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory) will be resolved by binding arbitration except that you may take claims to small claims court if they qualify for hearing by such a court.
- Arbitration Procedures. You must first present any claim or dispute to us by contacting Ematic to allow us an opportunity to resolve the dispute. You may request arbitration if your claim or dispute cannot be resolved within 60 days after presenting the claim or dispute to Ematic. Ematic may request arbitration against you at any time after it has notified you of a claim or dispute in accordance with clause 11(f) (Notifications). The arbitration of any dispute or claim shall be conducted in accordance with the then current and applicable rules of the American Arbitration Association as modified by this agreement. The place of any arbitration will be San Francisco, California, USA, and will be conducted in the English language. Claims will be heard by a single arbitrator. The arbitrator may not award relief in excess of or contrary to what this agreement provides, order consolidation or arbitration on a class wide or representative basis, award punitive or consequential damages or any other damages aside from the prevailing party’s actual damages, or order injunctive or declaratory relief, except that the arbitrator may award on an individual basis damages required by statute and may order injunctive or declaratory relief pursuant to an applicable consumer protection statute. Any arbitration shall be confidential, and neither you, nor Ematic nor the arbitrator may disclose the existence, content or results of any arbitration, except as may be required by law or for purposes of enforcement or appeal of the arbitration award. Judgment on any arbitration award may be entered in any court having proper jurisdiction. If any portion of this arbitration clause is determined by a court to be inapplicable or invalid, then the remainder shall still be given full force and effect.
- No Class Actions. There shall be no right or authority for any claims subject to this arbitration clause to be arbitrated on a class action or consolidated basis or on bases involving claims brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public (including, but not limited to, as a private attorney general).
- Fees and Expenses. All administrative fees and expenses of arbitration will be divided equally between you and Ematic. Each party will bear the expense of its own counsel, experts, witnesses and preparation and presentation of evidence at the arbitration hearing.
- YOU MUST CONTACT Ematic WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR OF THE DATE OF THE OCCURRENCE OF THE EVENT OR FACTS GIVING RISE TO A DISPUTE, OR YOU WAIVE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE ANY CLAIM BASED UPON SUCH EVENT, FACTS, OR DISPUTE.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any Content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing our Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail): (i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; (ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site; (iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material; (iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail; (v) A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Counter-Notice. If you believe that your Content that was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner’s agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the material in your Content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to the Copyright Agent: (i) Your physical or electronic signature; (ii) Identification of the Content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the Content appeared before it was removed or disabled; (iii) A statement that you have a good faith belief that the Content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the Content; and (iv) Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in San Francisco, California, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
- If a counter-notice is received by the Copyright Agent, Ematic may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that it may replace the removed Content or cease disabling it in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the Content provider, member or user, the removed Content may be replaced, or access to it restored, in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice, at Ematic’s sole discretion.
- Changes to these Terms. Ematic reserves the right to make changes to these Terms. We’ll post notice of modifications to these Terms on this page. You should ensure that you have read and agree with our most recent Terms when you use the Services. Continued use of the Services following notice of such changes shall indicate your acknowledgment of such changes and agreement to be bound by the revised Terms.
- Governing Law. The courts in some countries will not apply California law to some types of disputes. If you reside in one of those countries, then where California law is excluded from applying, your country’s laws will apply to such disputes related to these terms. Otherwise, you agree that these Terms, and any claim, dispute, action, cause of action, issue, or request for relief arising out of or relating to these Terms or your use of the Products and Services shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any conflict of laws principles that may provide the application of the law of another jurisdiction. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts in or for Santa Clara County, California for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes, unless such claim or dispute is required to be arbitrated as set forth in an above section.
- Protection of Confidentiality and Intellectual Property Rights. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Ematic may seek injunctive or other equitable relief to protect its confidential information and intellectual property rights or to prevent loss of data or damage to its servers in any court of competent jurisdiction.
- Entire Agreement/Severability. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and Ematic regarding the use of the Services. Any failure by Ematic to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms shall not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. If any provision of these Terms is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of these Terms will be unimpaired and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law. Neither party is an agent or partner of the other party.
- Survivability. The obligations in Sections 3(d), 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 13 will survive any expiration or termination of these Terms.
- Assignment. These Terms, and any associated rights or obligations, may not be assigned or otherwise transferred by you without Ematic’s prior written consent. These Terms may be assigned by Ematic without restriction. These Terms are binding upon any permitted assignee.
- Notifications. Ematic may provide notifications to you as required by law or for marketing or other purposes via (at its option) email to the primary email associated with your Account, mobile notifications, hard copy, or posting of such notice on www.Ematic.com. Ematic is not responsible for any automatic filtering you or your network provider may apply to email notifications.
- Disclosures. Please visit Ematic.com for Ematic’s address.
Copyright/Trademark Information. Copyright © 2017, Ematic, Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks, logos, and service marks (“Marks”) displayed on the Services are the property of Ematic or of their respective holders. You are not permitted to use any of the Marks without the applicable prior written consent of Ematic or such respective holders. Ematic reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, specifications, and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographic.